• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Cover songs better than the original

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Get It Right!

That's not Bob Dylan singing. That's a bootleg of Bob Dylan's song. Columbia Records never released it as a single. They couldn't because Dob Dylan would not allow it. And Metro-Golden-Mayer also could not release the version from Pat Garrett and Billy [nobabe]the Kid[/nobabe] (1973) because of the same thing. That was the movie directed by Sam Peckinpah, starring James Coburn and Kris Kristofferson. The song is not played in it's entirety and it is played when Slim Pickens' character of Sheriff Baker has been shot and is dying ...

sean miguel

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
Get It Right!

That's not Bob Dylan singing. That's a bootleg of Bob Dylan's song. Columbia Records never released it as a single. They couldn't because Dob Dylan would not allow it. And Metro-Golden-Mayer also could not release the version from Pat Garrett and Billy [nobabe]the Kid[/nobabe] (1973) because of the same thing. That was the movie directed by Sam Peckinpah, starring James Coburn and Kris Kristofferson. The song is not played in it's entirety and it is played when Slim Pickens' character of Sheriff Baker has been shot and is dying ...

corrected, and that is actually better but still not as good as GNR's version which was the point.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
That's not him either. It's a better rendition. Very close. But that's just not Mr. Robert Allen Zimmerman. Sorry.

Unless you have a bootleg concert video of Bob Dylan singing and perforning. You won't find any of his "original" songs on youtube.

Now here's a cover song that does Bob Dylan justice! :)

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Here is Carlos Santana's version of Peter Green's "Black Magic Woman." Santana is his group. Gregg Rolie is singing lead vocal and playing keyboards. Carlos Santana is playing lead guitar.

Here is Peter Green's version from Fleetwood Mac. Peter Green is singing and playing lead guitar.

Personally I like Fleetwood Mac's version better. Over the decades it grows on you. ;)

sean miguel

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to John_8581 again.

for my edification in this thread. I love music.

Harry Nilsson has a great voice but no match for Mariah's pipes.

edit: that's actually VERY close. Imagine a duo between them.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Thank you kindly. :hatsoff:

Harry Nilsson had a great version of "Without You"

... but the original was song by Pete Ham from a long ago band called Badfinger. All are gone now (2 by suicide, Pete Ham and Tom Evans; 1 by a brain aneurysm, Mike Gibbins. Joey Molland is alive and remains the only one left.)

Badfinger 1970

sean miguel

lol geez. I figured Harry Nilsson in 1972 would be far enough back. I'm just going to post the renditions I think are better from here on out then.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Okay here are live versions. Now I like the Beatles. :) ...

Only live bootlegs are available on youtube. Note: they tried to eliminate the sound of girls screaming.

But the originals, Wilbert Harrison "Kansas City" and Chuck Berry "Roll Over Beethoven" :thumbsup: are better! :)

ChuckFaze

Closed Account
Rare Earth's version of Get Ready is better than The Temptations' version.

Ferris Beuller's version of Twist & Shout. :D Okay, what I mean is, while I don't believe I have ever heard the original version of Twist & Shout, I have a hard time believing that anyone could play and SING it better than The Beatles. Can you confirm that, John_8581?

ChuckFaze

Closed Account
Earth, Wind & Fire's version of Got to Get You Into My Life is better than The Bbbbb ... than The Bbbbb ... than The Beatles' version!!! :shock: :eek: It was hard to say that, to go against The Beatles, but I just definitely like EWF's version better.

sean miguel

if this not a cover it should be. just call her angel then slowly turn away and she won't beg you turn away.,

i lovbe these love long lost songs.

ChuckFaze

Closed Account
Josh Kaufman's version of One More Try obliterated George Michael's version. Especially the LIVE The V o i c e Auditions version of Josh Kaufman. His studio version is also great, but that LIVE version ... WOW!

freeones_regina

Administrator
Not sure if this song was ever popular in the US but over here in the Netherlands (and maybe other European countries as well) it was a big hit, both versions were. But I like the cover better than the original.

Original Lykke Li

Cover Trigger Finger
This became a hit by accident, there is a dutch radio show, every day a band/singer would be a guest and play one of their songs and then would also do a cover from anything that was currently in the hit charts. Trigger Finger choose Lykke Li's song and people liked it so much that they decided to release it as a single.

Last edited:

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
Moving on to another master of both composing and performing music. Magical in concerts.

Here he is, performing his song "Cortez the Killer"

He makes it haunting, and it is a great performance, yet I favor the version of this all-star collaboration, featuring Joe Satriani amd Grace Potter. The horn is vital for making this version way better, but Satriani really knocks it out of the ballpark with his playing.